Monday, March 15, 2010

Turkey Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa

The first recipe happens to be what I'm making for dinner tonight! I'm a new fan of ground turkey - I'd never really eaten it before, but I got into it because of The Biggest Loser always promoting it.  My Husband and I have found that we really like replacing ground beef with ground turkey in a lot of our meals - you can barely tell a difference in taste, and we both feel (physically) better eating less red meat. We're lucky enough to be able to buy most of our meat from a local farmer who raises quality natural meats - look for one in your area!

Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 5 min.
Serves: 4 (two tacos each)

Ingredients:
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, & chopped
1 c. canned sweet corn kernels, rinsed & drained
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsp. lime juice
8 hard taco shells
1 pkg (1.25 oz) reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix (I usually just add some cayenne pepper & spices on my own instead of using a mix to avoid sodium & msg)
12 oz ground turkey, (pre-cooked weight), browned in a medium skillet
3/4 c. water

Cooking Directions:
1) Coat medium skillet with cooking spray, then over medium/high heat, brown the ground turkey.
2) Mix avocado, corn, tomatoes, & lime juice in medium bowl. Set salsa aside.
3) Add seasoning & water to the browned turkey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Spoon turkey mixture into shells. Top with the salsa you made.

*I like to toast my taco shells, so I'l preheat the oven when I turn the burner on for the turkey and during the final 5 minutes that the turkey is simmering with the seasonings, I put the taco shells in the oven on a pizza rack to lightly brown.

                  Calories - 45% Carbs - 25% Fat - 30% Protein
Per Meal:     1400           119g             66g              78g
Per Serving:   350             30g              17g              20g

No comments:

Post a Comment